10.10.2007

From the Kentucky coal mine to the California sun

Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose.

I wish I had written that lyric. A simple phrase big enough to live your life around. Something that everyone – no matter who you are – can not only relate to, but believe in. Agree with. Strive for. Wish for.

Kris Kristofferson may have written the song, but Janis Joplin is the one who gave it life. It’s her voice that makes you feel the words. Hearing about her traveling cross country with her companion Bobby would make anyone want to pack it up and head out into the sunset. See the world without a watch. Tossing your schedule out the window as you go full steam ahead into the unknown.

What is your freedom?

We all express our own freedom in different ways. And there are those who are so strapped down to life’s demands, they don’t allow themselves to even dream of their own freedom. One person’s freedom is another’s luxury.

I’ve stood at the top of the Eiffel Tower and peered into the night sky viewing the beautiful Paris lights. I’ve floated down a river in Bangkok visually taking in the enormous gold encrusted mansions. I’ve visited a small German village, rubbed elbows with the locals and walked through a several-centuries-old castle. I’ve relaxed on a beach in Grand Cayman mesmerized by the bluest ocean I’ve ever seen.

Freedom? Sure, I have had the freedom to live these experiences in a world where others may not be so free. I also have the freedom to work, drive, and vote… all of which are unfathomable in some countries.

As free as these things may make me, they are not my freedom.

My freedom is internal. My freedom is the ability to sort through my feelings and own them. To express my thoughts and not be judged. To not be controlled by someone else’s games and expectations. To show love and to be loved without being under the umbrella of fear.

This is my freedom because I find it hard to achieve. If freedom came easily it would not be called freedom. We have to paddle through treacherous rapids before we can truly experience the calm essence of freedom.

If freedom truly is another word for nothing left to lose, we have to actually get ahead of our life, turn around, see everything as it is, accept it and own it. It’s impossible to move forward in freedom when you still have strings attached behind you.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.
Nothing, and that's all that Bobby left me, yeah.

She loved her life with Bobby. They shared the love of the road as well as an emotional connection. But no matter how much they had together, it wasn’t enough for Bobby. He left in search of his own freedom. His own home. To satisfy his own internal need for something else. Something better.

I guess Bobby felt he had nothing left to lose. Nothing, including Janis. Even though she was left behind, she loved him. She said she would trade all her tomorrows for one single yesterday.

Sounds like Janis needed to have learned a little bit about freedom from Bobby. I think she always knew his placement in her life wasn’t permanent. The part of him she loved so much was the same part that caused him to leave.

Funny when that happens.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You're welcome to the link, oh Crazy One.

Thanks for reading...I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca:
Just dropped by to see if you'd written anything new. In case you haven't noticed, you haven't.
I've joined the mass exodus to multiply but still hang out on 360, which is getting buggier(note spelling!) by the hour.
Have this page in my on-line favorites so if 360 sinks I'll still find you.
Take care and be safe.

Just a Crazy Woman said...

yup, i need to write something. i've been so busy!!! ok, this week. promise! :) :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca, Say are you coming over to Multiply to blog or staying here. What is this place anyway..It had an enterance had to fing and then you fall into darkness and pink....Alice ...where are we...?? Did we go through the looking glass? Miss your bloggong immensely!!Come back Alice...come back...

Anonymous said...

Oh Good heavens fifty spelling mistakes...must have inhaled some of the caterpillers smoke on the way in....please over look.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl...just popping in from Multiply...sorry I haven't stopped in sooner ~ NICE place you have here!! I loved your thoughts on "Freedom" ... I think many people could stand to put a bit of personal thought into what it really means (or at least try to give their self a reminder once in awhile when they lose sight of what it means ~ I admit I need to remind myself from time to time!). Anyway...great blog ~ glad I stopped in! :o)

Anonymous said...

Hei there
CONGRATS on the great site! I just popped by your 360 site link to here.
Keep writing and keep well. Rii :)

I have another site myself on WordPress.

cathryn said...

Have you given up blogging? Say it ain't so!

Gonzo54 said...

Ok, what in the name of a de-frocked Mongolian priest from Budapest is your secret. I have not had any comments left on my blog ever! This leads me to conclude one of two things: 1) my popularity on other more socially inclined sites is the result of my stunning good looks and has nothing to do with my writing style or ability; or, 2) I am an absolute idiot. Either way, it's fine by me. I'd just like to know!